Sunday, September 12, 2010

Adventures in Life Abroad. A Friendly Rant.

   So my first roommate in the new apartment was from France. Never having met anyone from France who wasn't a giant hairy asshole(French Canadians don't count!), I was unsure of what to expect. It was only for a few days so either way I was sure I'd be able to deal. Aside from the time I asked him "What about cleaning?" to which he replied "I dunno"(3 months and you never cleaned?), he was quite a nice guy. Though, I will give it to him that he was not born in France but immigrated there from India. All-in-all, however, I will have to say that it was a pleasant few days. He worked long hours so I didn't get to know him well, but I can say it was a positive experience. After this I received an email that the next roomie was to be a man from Italy. While I am normally the type who likes his space, I will admit to hoping I could learn a few things from him. I have friends who live in Italy and rave about it. I love the food, family focus, and beautiful language. What's not to like, right? Well the day he arrived, my breath was taken away. Literally. This was the most foul-smelling human being I have ever encountered. For the next month, I avoided this man like he were a leper. I stayed in my room as often as possible, and when I needed to leave I would do so with a purpose. I casually suggested bathing to him on multiple occasions, but since I'm the non-confrontational type, I never flat out told him I could not share the same air with him. I wasn't home the day he left to return to Tokyo. I expected nothing to be gone, as he seemed like a nice guy, and I was correct. However, something was added. In response to the note I left him(wishing him a nice trip, safe travels, and saying it was nice to meet him), he left me with a larger one. This note was not, however, a friendly one. Inside it he informed me that he did not rent a shared space apartment for the cost, but for the companionship. So summarily, he was pissed and felt like I wasted his time and money. He also seemed to feel I have been wasting my own time by not leaving day after day to casually explore a town I somewhat know. Completely ignoring the time I mentioned to him that my reason for being here was primarily MA-related. I have more important focuses regarding my time and spending at the moment. Though, maybe it was karma, for once informing a friend that I had wished he would find a ditch to finish decomposing in, as he certainly smelled the part of a rotting corpse. Though I wish I could have returned in time to suggest that if he were looking for companionship to bathe and then go to a bar, or maybe the pound, and adopt a puppy. As I am of no obligation to be friends with a shedding, unclean, middle-aged man.

   Now the next and final roommate is here. He's about my age, from India, and apparently speaks decent Japanese. He works as a software engineer. Our backgrounds, religions and a few other things seem to be somewhat different, but I think it will be a good experience. He seems to be a good guy and has a good head on his shoulders and I even got him to play a little 360. Hopefully things will be much better this time around.

3 comments:

  1. you could have tried harder.. its shows that you have to improve more on adaptability.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried harder to hold my breath? I'm a wolf, not a sea-lion :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Was it really that bad? I meet a few people that I can't share the same air with but after a while I can no longer smell them. its like my nose just magically filter the air. :P Surnames can't smell.

    ReplyDelete